We have a walk in closet and opted to keep it as a closet and instead set up small desk/tables that would look good as furniture when not in use. Transform a standard closet into a complete home office with furniture, lighting, storage, and more. Pick a narrow desk with slim drawers directly beneath the top for space-saving, easy-to-access storage. Don’t let non-office items creep back into your space unless you’re okay with a cluttered, messy workspace.
Can closet be used as an office?
To make a closet into an office all that's really required is a desktop plus enough space for a chair but it's possible to make a cloffice a whole lot more sophisticated than that. Think shelving or cubbies above the desk to create storage and space for decorative accessories that make it a pleasant place to work.
Keep in mind that you’ll need to invest in good lighting, especially if you plan to use the closet as an office. Converting a closet into an office space can be a great way to save space and add a functional workspace to your home. Here are a few https://remotemode.net/ steps to help you transform your closet into the perfect home office. Plenty of blogs and Pinterest boards using the term “cloffice” for your perusal. Remember to install an electrical outlet in your closet if you’ll be using it as a home office.
Give It a Pop of Color
Desktop monitors are notoriously bulky, especially widescreen ones. If you have more than one on a cloffice desktop, there might be not enough space for your speakers or anything else. Mounting the monitor on the wall should resolve this issue.
- Kayla of Chippy Charm turned a bedroom closet into a rustic cloffice (the before and after pictures are truly mind-blowing!), and we love that she didn’t just stop at one shelf.
- Then you will be free to use the rest of the space to design your office getaway.
- What do you get when you combine a desk top from an outlet store, melamine boards from a former closet system, some paint, and a few other essentials?
- Regardless of whether you’re working in a walk-in or reach-in closet, chances are high that you’re still facing a wall.
- Saw Horses – This will be used to hold the butcher block while you cut it down to size.
For example, if you use a lot of binders or legal-size paper, make sure the closet you’re considering can fit the width and depth of those supplies. If you need to maintain a secure filing system, you’ll need a closet that can handle the width and depth of a file cabinet when it’s closed and when the drawers are fully open. While the wall is drying, cut and paint the 1×8 pine board to serve as a floating shelf at the top of the board & batten. You should already have the measurement of the longest wall from hanging the horizontal board, but don’t forget to account for the thickness of the lattice moulding.
Step 7: Personalize Your Space
This detail created a visual division between the bar area and the seating area in front of the fireplace. The old red brick on the fireplace surround was replaced with stack stone. We found an amazing rug which tied all of the colors together further defining the gathering space. Russet and burnt orange became the accent color unifying each space. With a bit of whimsy, a rather unusual light fixture which looks like roots from a tree growing through the ceiling is a conversation piece.
- That means the dream of hooking sellers with a bonus office or a charming tiny nursery simply won’t stand up to location, square footage, bedrooms, bathrooms and recent renovations.
- Draw out a calendar or a to-do list, or just let your imagination wander.
- “We started by taking out the doors and hardware from the pre-existing closet and then patched, sanded, and painted the interior,” she tells AD.
- Determine the size of the desk that will fit in the space, the placement of shelving, and the location of the power outlets.
- There’s usually a large desk area that has room for your monitor , your computer, pencil holders, phone, pictures, and coffee cup.
- This basket convert closet to office serves not only to hide the cords, but also as storage for things like controllers, laptop cords, and other necessities.
- Particularly useful in smaller homes and apartments where square footage is tight, cloffices provide a creative way to maximize available space.
You’d be surprised how cozy you can make an oddly shaped space feel. It only took Kaitlin Clark about three hours to transform an extra closet in her home studio into a functional workspace and vanity that’s also 100% reversible. “If you do nonpermanent upgrades, the beauty is that you can switch convert closet to office it around as much as you wish,” the lifestyle content creator explains. Since the beginning of the pandemic, homeowners have come to the New York–based interior designer Sara Mosele with some interesting solicitations. “Requests during the pandemic became really creative,” she tells AD.
How to turn a small closet into an office
When all paint has dried, use pocket hole screws to attach the floating shelf to wall. We installed our shelf in the center of the horizontal lattice moulding. Have one person hold the board level and in place while the other uses the pocket hole screws and a drill to attach the shelf to the studs. Once the board has been secured to the wall, paint the inside of the pocket holes, including the screws! This hides the pocket hole attachments and gives the shelf that true floating look.